The meeting will be at the State Bar Building, 306 Townsend St., Lansing. Lunch will be served at 12:00 noon.
I. Welcome and introductions. (Denise Hood)
II. Discussion items
A. SCAO Report
B. The Future of the Legal Profession (Linda Rexer and Candace Crowley).
The State Bar Task Force was officially announced on March 5. The main committee is chaired by Julie Fershtman and Bruce Courtade. There are three sub-committees, including one on Access to Justice, which is chaired by Linda Rexer and Libby Hines.
C. Ability To Pay Workgroup (Miriam Aukerman and Bob Gillett).
While the SCAO Workgroup report has not been released, there have been several important developments in this area. These include the Department of Justice report on police and court practices in Ferguson Missouri; DOJ involvement in pay or stay suits in other states; and a new ACLU case out of Macomb County. Materials attached.
On the other areas that the SPB has been following, we are inviting written reports prior to the meeting or brief oral reports at the meeting. Please let us know if you would like to give an oral report at the meeting.
We have noted some issues where there have been developments and we are expecting a report. If you feel like you need more than 5-10 minutes for an in person report or if you would like to move a topic from the shorter report to the longer report section of the agenda, please contact Ann Routt at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have written materials, please send them to Ann electronically.
A. Longer Updates
1. DHS—DCH merger (Lary Wells; Ann Routt).
2. Immigration update (Susan Reed).
3. Juvenile Justice Issues: Follow up to Juvenile Lifer cases (Kim Thomas, Bob Gillett)
B. Shorter Updates
1. Michigan Legal Help Program (Linda Rexer, Ang Tripp)
2. E-filing update (Angela Tripp)
3. Civil Right to Counsel (Linda Rexer)
4. Welfare Litigation update (Ed Hoort)
5. Indigent Defense Commission (Dawn Van Hoek)
6. Amicus update (Ann Routt)
7. Native American Issues (Jim Keedy)
8. State Bar Committee on Justice Initiatives (Candace Crowley)
9. Pro Bono (Bob Gillett, Candace Crowley)
10. LEP Developments (Susan Reed and Candace Crowley)
11. Connecting clients with wage and hour claims with advocacy resources (John Philo, David Blanchard, Angela Tripp)
III. 2015 Meeting Schedule
July 15 (Detroit)
October 21 (Lansing)