The meeting will be at the State Bar Building, 306 Townsend St., Lansing. Lunch will be served at 12:00 noon.
I. Welcome and introductions. (Denise Hood)
II. Discussion items
A. Report from SCAO (Beth Barber)
B. Ability To Pay Workgroup (Libby Hines and Bob Gillett). It is expected that the final report from the SCAO Workgroup will be available before this meeting.
C. Changes at DHS and DCH. As Governor Snyder starts his second term, he will be appointing a new director of the Departments of Human Services; also Nick Lyons is a relatively new Director of the Department of Community Health. These are the state departments that work most directly with low income families. We'd like to discuss the advocacy opportunities in the new administration. (Alison Hirschel and Lary Wells)
D. Update on SBM Future of Legal Services Process. (Candace Crowley, Linda Rexer and Janet Welch)
E. Immigration update (Susan Reed). The Obama administration recently announced the Deferred Action for Parental Accountability (DAPA) program; this program will provide protection from deportation and a work permit to 40,000 Michigan residents. Susan will update us on the program and how it will roll out in Michigan.
III. Updates. On the other areas that the SPB has been following, we are inviting written reports prior to the meeting or brief oral reports at the meeting. Please let us know if you would like to give an oral report at the meeting.
We have noted some issues where there have been developments and we are expecting a report. If you feel like you need more than 5-10 minutes for an in person report or if you would like to move a topic from the shorter report to the longer report section of the agenda, please contact Ann Routt at firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have written materials, please send them to Ann electronically.
A. Longer Updates
1. Juvenile Justice Issues: Follow up to Juvenile Lifer cases (Kim Thomas, Bob Gillett)
2. Indigent Defense Commission (Kim Thomas and Dawn Van Hoek)
B. Shorter Updates
1. Michigan Legal Help Program (Linda Rexer, Ang Tripp)
MLH Evaluation Report - http://goo.gl/yYmw3O
2. E-filing update (Angela Tripp)
3. Civil Right to Counsel (Linda Rexer)
4. Amicus update (Ann Routt)
5. Native American Issues (Jim Keedy)
6. State Bar Committee on Justice Initiatives (Candace Crowley)
7. Pro Bono (Bob Gillett, Candace Crowley)
8. LEP Developments (Susan Reed and Candace Crowley)
9. Immigration Developments (Susan Reed)
10. Connecting clients with wage and hour claims with advocacy resources (John Philo, David Blanchard, Angela Tripp)
III. 2015 Meeting Schedule
April 15 (Lansing)
July 15 (Detroit)
October 21 (Lansing)