January 29, 2013
The meeting will be at the State Bar building in Lansing. Lunch will be served at 12:00 noon.
I. Welcome and introductions. (Denise Page Hood)
II. Discussion items:
We'd like this meeting to be a planning meeting at which the SPB will receive an overview on legislative and court issues that are of interest to the SPB. This discussion will be split in two parts. At the beginning of the meeting, there will be a legislative presentation by Ellen Hoekstra and Stephanie Johnson from Capitol Services and Peter Cunningham, the Director of Government Relations for the State Bar of Michigan. This will include a discussion of legislative actions in the lame duck session and issues expected to be addressed by the new legislature.
Later in the agenda, Dawn Monk, the Deputy Director of the State Court Administrative Office (SCAO), will update the SPB on the issues pending on the Court's administrative docket, including: the court-tools project; the pending LEP rules; developments on the fees/fines/costs issue; the ongoing efforts with Michigan Legal Help; and e-filing.
We're hoping that these background discussions will help the SPB focus and prioritize its work for 2013.
B. Court Administrative Issues
III. Reports, Updates, Information Sharing
We believe that the longer discussion will take up most of the meeting and will include updates in many of the areas that the SPB has been tracking. In the other areas, we are inviting written reports prior to the meeting or brief oral reports at the meeting. Please let us know if you would like to give an oral report at the meeting. If you feel like you need more than 5-10 minutes an in person report, please contact Bob Gillett at firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have written materials, please send them to Bob electronically.
We expect brief updates on these issues, which we think are not included in the legislative/court administrative discussion outlined above.
1. Miller v. Alabama update (Kim Thomas)
2. DACA report and update (Susan Reed)
3. Update on right to counsel; Gideon anniversary events (Dawn Van Hoek and Bob Gillett)
4. Michigan Legal Help Program (Linda Rexer)
5. Pro Bono (Bob Gillett)
6. Amicus report (Ann Routt)
7. Update on LSC funding (Deierdre Weir)
8. Michigan Foreclosure Prevention Project (Lorray Brown or Bob Gillett)
9. DHS policy issues---time limits case; truancy policy (Terri Stangl)
10. State Bar Committee on Justice Initiatives (Terri Stangl)
We believe that reports on these additional areas will be included in the main discussion. However, brief written reports that will provide background for the discussion are invited.
1. Language access developments (Candace Crowley)
2. Developments in Indigent Criminal Defense (Dawn Van Hoek)
3. Fees/fines/costs (Miriam Aukerman)
4. Indian Child Welfare Act (Jim Keedy)
Michigan Indian Family Preservation Act-- as adopted http://legiscan.com/MI/text/SB1232/2011
5. SCAO Court Tools program (Libby Hines and Bob Gillett)
6. Prisoner re-entry issues (Terri Stangl)
7. MI-UI report (Steve Gray)
IV. 2013 Meeting Schedule
April 30 (Lansing)
July 23 (Detroit)
October 22 (Lansing)