The meeting will be at the Legal Aid and Defender offices, 613 Abbott, Detroit, Michigan 48226. Lunch will be served at 12:00 noon.
I. Welcome and introductions. (Denise Hood)
II. Discussion items
A. The Future of the Legal Profession (Libby Hines, Linda Rexer, and others).
The State Bar Task Force has begun to do its work. The main committee is chaired by Julie Fershtman and Bruce Courtade. The Access to Justice subcommittee is chaired by Linda Rexer and Libby Hines.
B. US and Michigan Supreme Court developments (Val Newman).
Both courts end their terms around this time — Valerie will update us on significant poverty law decisions from both courts.
C. Ability To Pay Workgroup (Miriam Aukerman and Bob Gillett).
There have been developments in this area. In response to our May letter, SCAO has opened an administrative file on the proposed court rule; the Michigan District Judges Association has endorsed our proposed rule; and the ACLU has filed new litigation. We'll report on all these developments.
On the other areas that the SPB has been following, we are inviting written reports prior to the meeting or brief oral reports at the meeting. Please let us know if you would like to give an oral report at the meeting.
We have noted some issues where there have been developments and we are expecting a report. If you feel like you need more than 5-10 minutes for an in person report or if you would like to move a topic from the shorter report to the longer report section of the agenda, please contact Ann Routt at firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have written materials, please send them to Ann electronically.
A. Longer Updates
1. Immigration update (Susan Reed).
2. Juvenile Justice Issues: Follow up to Juvenile Lifer cases (Kim Thomas, Bob Gillett)
B. Shorter Updates
1. Michigan Legal Help Program (Linda Rexer, Ang Tripp)
2. E-filing update (Angela Tripp)
3. Civil Right to Counsel (Linda Rexer)
4. Welfare Litigation update (Ed Hoort)
5. Indigent Defense Commission (Dawn Van Hoek)
6. Amicus update (Ann Routt)
7. Native American Issues (Jim Keedy)
8. State Bar Committee on Justice Initiatives (Candace Crowley)
9. ABA Day report; Update on LSC funding
10. Pro Bono (Bob Gillett, Candace Crowley)
11. LEP Developments (Susan Reed and Candace Crowley)
12. Connecting clients with wage and hour claims with advocacy resources (John Philo, David Blanchard, Angela Tripp)
III. 2015 Meeting Schedule
October 21 (Lansing)